What do you do when you want to make pesto but don’t have either basil, or pine nuts, or parmesan cheese? Well, you use rocket (arugula), cashew nuts and leave out the parmesan! Agreed, it’s not really pesto anymore but it’s still a pretty cool, nutritious and healthy alternative to the basic recipe- and for those who mind, it’s vegan. (You can read more about the health benefits below the instructions)
- Rocket/Arugula: 3 handfuls
- Cashew nuts (raw): a large handful
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Olive oil: 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
Put all the ingredient in a food processor and blend until smooth.
You can eat as a dip, with some socca flatbread or some raw vegetables!
The health of the Rocket and Cashew Pesto
Cashews are very nutritious and are a powerhouse of proteins and essential minerals including copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.Cashews also contain vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3 , vitamin B6, folate, vitamin E, and vitamin K .
- Prevent heart disease
- Help maintain healthy bones
- Boost the immune system
- Reduce risk of anemia and type-2 diabetes
- Promotes formation of red-blood cells
- Prevents gallstones
- Promotes healthy muscles and nerves
Arugula / Rocket
Arugula is a good source of protein, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, zinc and copper. Excellent source of dietary fibre, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and manganese.
- Boosts immune system
- Reduces risk of heart disease and premature ageing
- Lowers risk of cancer
- Gives relief from symptoms of osteoporosis
- Enhances athletic performance
- Promotes heart, skin and bone health