Don’t even get me started on the Chia Seeds! They’re first on the superfood category; they’re an amazing energy booster and they have super powers! No kidding, they are loaded with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates (the good ones), protein, fibre, antioxidants, and calcium. You can’t get any better!
You couldn’t tell really, chia seeds are these tiny little black and white seeds from the South American plant Salvia Hispanica (same family as mint). Chia seeds were actually an essential food for the Aztecs and Mayans back in the days; they valued them for their ability to provide sustainable energy, their medicinal properties and their high nutritional value. It doesn’t come as a surprise that chia is the ancient Mayan word for strength.
2 tablespoons of Chia seeds contain:
- 4 grams of protein
- 12 grams of carbohydrates (the good kind obviously)
- 11 grams of fibre
- 9 grams of fat (5 grams are Omega-3)
- 3x the antioxidants of blueberries
- 3x more iron than spinach
- 2x more potassium than a banana
- 32% of you daily magnesium
They also contain a fair amount of calcium, vitamin B3 (Niacin),vitamin B1 (Thiamine), vitamin B2, potassium and zinc. And zero sugar!!
- Being loaded with antioxidants chia seeds can prevent premature skin ageing;
- They help promote digestion and regular bowel movement thanks to the dietary fibre;
- They also help with weight loss; they keep you feeling fuller longer and reduce sugar cravings;
- They boost your metabolism and burn belly fat;
- They promote heart health, regulate cholesterol and lower blood pressure;
- They help treat diabetes;
- They boost your energy, improves stamina and endurance;
- They promote bone and teeth health thanks to the high amount of calcium.
How to use them?
They’re quite easy to add to your daily diet. The easiest way is to add a couple of tablespoons to your salad, soup, smoothie or porridge. You’ll find tons of recipes online, and I’ll share a few of my own soon.
By the way, you can find them is any organic shop and even in some supermarkets.
Coming soon : The Chia Seed Pudding