This pancake recipe doesn’t require much effort, it’s like a regular pancake but ten thousand times more nourishing and healthy. It’s filling – without landing like a stone in your stomach – and will take you through to lunch time without you even thinking about food. It’s packed with all the good stuff and it’s as clean as it gets.
For around 10 small pancakes
- Buckwheat flour*, 120gr
- Baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp
- Almond milk**, 300 ml
- 1 medium egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- Blueberries, a handful. (optional)
- Coconut oil, to grease the pan
*You can also find whole-grain pancake mix in any organic store, they’re made of different flours and in general really good.
**Rice milk, Soy milk, or Oat milk also work fine.
- Grab a small bowl and mix the dry ingredients: flour and baking soda.
- In a big bowl, whisk the egg(s) and the milk – but not all of it.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix well. Now you can add the mashed banana and the rest of the milk. It actually depends on how dense you like your pancakes.
- Heat a small pan with coconut oil. It’s gotta be hot, but don’t let it burn!
- If you have a small ladle, use it as a measure. Well, I’m sure I don’t have to teach you how to make pancakes! Just wait for the golden brown colour before you flip it over!
I usually make a batch of 20 pancakes, and freeze them in bags of 2. Before going to bed I take a bag out of the freezer, the next day all I do is add the toppings!
Let’s talk about the toppings!
Knock yourself out! There are so many healthy options. The sky is the limit! My favourite is low-fat Greek yogurt, chia seeds, almonds and goji berries, blueberries and banana. If you’re not a big fan of Greek yogurt, you can use cottage cheese.
Peanut butter is a classic among clean-eaters. I’ve also discovered nut butter and almond butter; packed with good fats.
If you like eggs, I would suggest some scrambled eggs (Omega 3 preferably; don’t overcook them, you might lose a lot of the nutrients) or a poached egg. You could also go for some chicken or turkey ham, or salmon. Some arugula (rocket) and bam!